"We are lucky to have the opportunity to help our clients every day."
David S Read
As Blue Slate's Chief Technology Officer since its inception in 2000, Dave leads the technology consulting team as an advisor for each project. He helps evaluate and determine functional requirements, platforms, products, integration approaches, architectures, QA procedures and implementation processes. He also coordinates with the teams to identify, evaluate and adopt new products, tools and techniques that strengthen Blue Slate's security and technology capabilities. A major component of his success is his participation in client projects, primarily within healthcare and financial services. This allows him to maintain his skills, understand industry trends and real-world application requirements as he evaluates new tools and techniques.
Dave’s work is focused on leading teams in the integration and construction of secure and reliable object oriented-based solutions through the appropriate leveraging of client’s existing architecture and previous investments. Examples of his work include the design of a secure high-performance Web-service application for processing sensitive high-volume financial transactions by incorporating a rules and workflow engine with diverse backend systems. Dave also provides leadership surrounding data security including encryption, protocols, policies and processes for multiple healthcare and insurance clients. He has significant data mining experience including data pre-processing, attribute identification, classifier training and ensemble classifier design.
For a large healthcare payer he led data services design and implementation, bringing his data masking expertise to bear to help protect PHI and enable the client to be compliant with federal regulations, This included the design and implementation as well as the planning, testing, and installation of a new software program. He has also developed and utilized a proprietary query analysis tool that improves the performance of a Sybase-based backend.
For a regional insurance company, Dave reviewed an initial implementation and assisted in re-architecting a system for creating and maintaining commercial and personal line policies. He resolved several architectural challenges such as utilizing the industry standard ACORD XML schema and integrating the solutions into the client’s existing policy system. He has also helped clients as an instructor, conducting training programs on secure web development or Java Application Development for a variety of clients.
Prior to joining Blue Slate, Dave had 15 years of IT leadership experience. A significant portion of that experience included various positions within GE, where he was a lead architect for many diverse Web-based applications focusing on a scalable and standards-based infrastructure. His work allowed GE to deploy a large number of applications to their world-wide workforce and vendor network. The success of these applications led to his receiving GE’s Internet Pioneer of the Year award. Dave is a popular speaker at industry events. He has delivered seminars or presentations at the Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), the Business Rules Forum, Property and Casualty Insurance (PCI) Information Technology Conferences, and presented at Sun Microsystems’ JaveOne developer conferences. He holds a Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems from the College of Saint Rose.
At A Glance
- Project Leadership
- Architecture Design
- Expertise in all phases of the software engineering life cycle
- Expertise in a broad range of technologies
- Linux/UNIX Administration
- Web Services/XML/XSL
- ILOG JRules
- Shell Scripting
Degrees / Certifications
- Bachelor of Science, College of Saint Rose
- GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC)
- Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
- Sun Certified Programmer for the Java 2 Platform
- Certified Engineer on Pega's PegaRULES Platform
- ILOG JRules 6 Bronze Level Certification
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
- Designing a secure high-performance web-service application for processing sensitive high-volume financial transactions by incorporating a rules and workflow engine with diverse backend systems.
- Developing a query analysis tool that improves the performance of a Sybase-based backend.
- Reviewing an initial implementation and assisting in re-architecting a system for creating and maintaining commercial and personal line policies for a regional insurance company.